Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Name Games

Geri Halliwell has named her baby Bluebell Madonna.

Mmmmmkay.

I myself want to avoid my child coming home from school with half an eye popping out of their socket, a bloody lip and wedgy so tight only pliars could undo it. In fact, if I knew someone at school with that name I would have been compelled to smack them myself. And I was a lovely child.

I think Ernest or Joy or Betty or Alfred are safe names. Jimmy is always everyone's friend or the school bully so no fear there. Jennifer is a nice safe plain name. There are various ways to spell it too - Jeni, Jenny, Jennie. Charles is a safe name, could be spiced up to Chuck. Chuck Eagle. He'll be an RAF man or an anchor man for US television news.

There are lots of girls names I like but they always have associations with other beings - usually soap characters I hate or loath. Chloe is a lovely named ruined by Sonia on Eastenders daughter - incidentally the baby she had no idea she was pregnant with and just fell out after a bit of wind. Sure.

Poppy, Daisy and Honey are sweet names over-associated with famous celebs kids. Actually, let's be honest - Honey is a dog's name. Summer is a groovy hippy type name associated with my favourite weather and unfortunately also a character from the O.C.....plus I'd have to wrestle my husband into unconsciousness before he would agree to it.

Hmmm.

Barry, Mary, Larry, Gary, Sherrie or Hyacinth it is then.

No comments: